Ours is a very old profession. Even so, it is changing at a rapid pace. To keep up with the demands and needs of today’s faster world, it has become important to know how to stay abreast of changes in the law, technology and our human understanding of death.
To support the educational dreams of tomorrow’s funeral service professionals, we offer an annual scholarship to The Funeral Service Education Program at American River College in Sacramento.
The program, accredited by the American Board of Funeral Service Education (ABFSE), includes a general education and funeral service education courses and related laboratory experience.
Program goals address what we believe are essential:
- How to be members of a human services profession
- How to be members of the community in which they serve
- How to be participants in the relationship between bereaved families and those engaged in the funeral services profession
- How to offer professional knowledge of and compliance with federal, state provincial/territorial, and local regulatory guidelines
- How to be responsible for public health, safety and welfare in caring for human remains
Successful students can take the California Board Examination to become a licensed embalmer. In order to get there they have to maintain a “C” or better in all college coursework and must be able to pay for professional attire, laboratory uniforms, fees, necessary equipment, and transportation to off campus laboratory locations as well as American River College’s basic tuition fees..
To learn more about this program, visit the American River College website or call (916) 484-8011.